Sunday, November 25, 2007

Count your blessings

"Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings see what God has done."

That song gives us a wonderful beginning. Can we really count our blessings? Let's see... I have a husband who is essentially healthy, he loves me, he is faithful, he is knowledgeable about fixing things, I have employment, a roof over my head, plenty of clothes, plenty of food, I have my health, I got a good nights rest last night, I am on my way to church this morning, I can worship God freely, I was able to have some study time and prayer time this morning without interruption, I have a dog who loves to play and enjoys being with me, I can type, I can read, I can walk and run, I have enough stuff that I will be giving some away to a local charity just to get it out of the house.

We could go on for days like this. But have you ever stopped to consider all the ways that God has protected you as a blessing? How many crises did you avoid merely because God intervened? Did you miss an auto accident? Could you have tripped and fell? God protects all the day long and we don't even know how many things we have avoided because of his protective love.

Of course the greatest blessing of all is that God provided the only way we could come to him in the person of Jesus Christ who even though he was God, came down to earth to reconcile mankind to himself and pay the penalty for our sins. We have no greater blessing and no other hope of salvation apart from Him.

So go ahead; count your blessings, name them one by one. It is a great way to build a thankful heart.

No comments: