Monday, April 30, 2007

God of Hope

Romans 15:13: May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

My human nature is prone to migrate to the negative. When I look at a commercial on television with great promise to cure whatever problem I may have, I am skeptical. One of the reasons I believe that I am well suited to develop solid processes for my employer is that my mind naturally explores the avenues of potential failure so that we can prevent them before they occur.

Even in my relationships with people, I take a long time to build a trust and am quick to criticize in my mind and abandon my trust. My nature is precisely the opposite of what God creates in us. Apart from a relationship with the Father made possible by Jesus Christ, I don't see how people can have joy. The alternatives are all so prone to failure, so fleeting. Without a vision for God's sovreignty and grace there is no hope.

No matter what happens here on earth and no matter how products or people may fail, we have a sure hope that is found only through a faith and trust in Jesus and by a life that is led by the Holy Spirit. I have great hope and joy because I have been adopted by no merit of my own but by God's great love for me in spite of my failings. I have peace like nothing on earth can supply; it is the knowledge that I am safe and secure in the promises of God. I need nothing more and he gives no less.

What a blessed hope we have to know that we have this treasure in fractured vessels, preserved for a future union with our bridegroom. We know him now, but what a day that will be when we will know him fully! I can train my mind on these things and rest in his unfailing love.

No comments: